Quizzing is something that I've kind of lost touch with over the years. Participating in school and college Fests used to be a huge rush. It's taken a back seat for while now. Here are some questions, from the world of Cinema/Music/Arts, which have stuck over the years. Go ahead... test yourselves.
1. Roland Joffe's 'City of Joy', had Om Puri playing the lead, Hasari Pal . Rumor has it that Puri didn't charge for the movie. He did, however, ask for one thing in compensation. What?
2. If SeaWind : Dirubhai Ambani, Pratiksha: Amitabh Bachchan, The Jet : ?
3. This one's easy. "Not to have seen the cinema of ____, means existing in the world without seeing the sun or the moon", said Akira Kurosawa, the great master of Japanese cinema, about a contemporary film maker of his time. Who was he talking about?
4. What is common to the following films; 'Awwal Number', 'Chamatkar' and 'AllRounder'?
5. How did Kundan Shah zero in on the names of his two heroes 'Vinod' and 'Sudhir' in the cult classic, 'Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro'?
6. This is for all those 'X-Files' fanatics. What's the significance of Mulder's apartment number, 42?
7. I am a vegetarian, suffer from asthma and myasthenia gravis, and got my first break in Bollywood with the help of a recommendation from Indira Gandhi. Who am I?
8. Lets see if you can guess the films which had the following closing lines:
a) “Men like my father cannot die. They are with me still, real in memory as they were in flesh, loving and beloved forever. How green was my valley then?”
b) “Madness. Madness.”
c) “I was cured all right.”
d) “This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.”
e) "Vanity - definitely my favorite sin."
9. This one is thanks to fellow blogger and batchmate, Cogito. How did the guys at Motorola come up with the name 'Six Sigma' for their quality excercise?
10. If 12 Angry Men:Ek Ruka Hua Faisla , Kramer Vs. Kramer: Akele Hum Akele Tum, then A Kiss From The Dying:?
1. The rickshaw he pulled in the movie.
2. SD Burman. The name of the houses in which these celebrities stayed.
3. Of course, Satyajit Ray.
4. All had Cricket as the central theme.
5. They were named after Kundan Shah's assistant directors in the film, Vidhu Vinod Chopra and Sudhir Misra.
6. '42' is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything, according to Douglas Adam's 'The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.
7. Amitabh Bachchan.
a) How Green Was My Valley
b) Bridge On The River Kwai
c) A Clockwork Orange
e) The Devil's Advocate
9. People working on the project were huge fans of Pink Floyd. The band was originally called 'Sigma Six'. They just turned it around.
10. Baazigar. All the Hindi films were remakes of the listed English ones.